The VMBO (voorbereidend middelbaar beroepsonderwijs; virtually, "preparatory middle-level used education") education persists four many years, through the chronilogical age of twelve to sixteen. It integrates vocational education with theoretical training in languages, math, record, arts and sciences. 60 % of students nationally are signed up for VMBO. Pupils can choose between four different degrees of VMBO that vary into the ratio of practical vocational training and theoretical education. Not all the amounts are necessarily taught in the same high-school.
- Theoretische leerweg (VMBO-TL; literally, "theoretical understanding road") has got the biggest share of theoretical education. It prepares for middle administration and MBO amount of tertiary education, and allows pupils to resume vocational instruction at HAVO amount. It had been previously called "MAVO".
- Gemengde leerweg (VMBO-GL; actually, "mixed mastering path") is in between VMBO-TL and VMBO-KL. The development path to graduation resembles the VMBO-TL.
- Kaderberoepsgerichte Leerweg (VMBO-KL; actually; "middle management-oriented learning course") comprises an equal level of theoretical training and vocational instruction. It makes for center administration and vocational instruction at the MBO standard of tertiary knowledge.
- Basisberoepsgerichte Leerweg (VMBO-BB; actually; "basic profession-oriented learning path") emphasizes vocational training and prepares for vocational training within MBO level of tertiary education.
- Praktijkonderwijs (virtually, "practical training") mainly consist of vocational training. It's tailored to pupils who would otherwise never be capable obtain a VMBO-diploma. This as a type of on-the-job education is directed at allowing pupils to go into the job market directly.
At all of these amounts, Leerwegondersteunend onderwijs (actually, "learning road supporting knowledge") exists, that will be intended for pupils with educational or behavioural issues. These students are taught in little classes by specialized instructors.
Discerning secondary training
Additional knowledge, which begins within age of 12 and, by 2008, is compulsory through to the age of 18, is offered at a few levels. The 2 programmes of basic knowledge that cause advanced schooling are HAVO (five years) and VWO (six years). Pupils tend to be enrolled in accordance with their capability, and even though VWO is much more rigorous, both HAVO and VWO can be characterised as discerning forms of secondary training. The HAVO diploma could be the minimal need for entry to HBO (universities of systems). The VWO curriculum makes students for college, and only the VWO diploma funds accessibility WO (study universities).
The initial 36 months of both HAVO and VWO are known as the basisvorming (actually, "basic development"). All pupils proceed with the same subjects: languages, mathematics, history, arts and sciences. The very last two years of HAVO while the last three years of VWO are described as the 2nd stage (tweede fase), or top additional education. This the main educational programme allows for differentiation in the shape of topic clusters being denoted "profiles" (profielen). A profile is a couple of various topics that will replace the greatest part of the pupil's schedule. It emphasizes a certain part of research where the pupil specializes. Set alongside the HAVO route, the problem level of the pages on VWO is higher, and lasts three-years rather than two. Pupils choose one of four pages to the end of the 3rd year:
- Cultuur en Maatschappij (C&M; literally, "culture and culture") emphasizes arts and international languages (French, German and less frequently Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Turkish). Within the province of Friesland, western Frisian is also taught. The math courses consider data and stochastics. This profile makes for imaginative and social education.
- Economie en Maatschappij (E&M; virtually, "economy and community") emphasizes personal sciences, business economics, and history. The mathematics classes give attention to data and stochastics. This profile makes for management and company administration.
- Natuur en Gezondheid (N&G; virtually, "nature and health") emphasizes biology and normal sciences. The mathematics classes give attention to algebra, geometry and calculus. This profile is important to wait health education.
- Natuur en Techniek (N&T; literally, "nature and technology") emphasizes natural sciences. The mathematics classes consider algebra, geometry and calculus. This profile is essential to attend technological and normal technology education.
Because each profile is designed to prepare pupils for many aspects of research at the tertiary amount, some HBO and WO studies require a particular profile because necessity knowledge is necessary. Like, one cannot research engineering with no obtained a certificate in physics in the additional academic amount. Aside from the topics within the profile, the curriculum consists of a compulsory part that includes Dutch, English, mathematics and some small topics, and a free of charge option segment where students can choose several subjects off their pages. Selecting certain topics in the free curriculum area can lead to multiple profiles, especially the profiles N&G and N&T that overlap for a big component.
The HAVO (; literally, "higher basic continued training") features five grades and it is attended from age twelve to seventeen. A HAVO diploma provides usage of the HBO level (polytechnic) of tertiary education.
The vwo (; actually, "preparatory scholarly training") features six grades and is usually attended from age twelve to eighteen. A VWO diploma provides access to WO education, although universities may set their admission requirements (e.g. based on profile or on particular subjects).
The VWO is divided in to and . a gym programme is similar to the atheneum, except that Latin and Greek tend to be compulsory classes. Not totally all schools teach the old languages through the very first three years (the "basic education"). Latin may turn in a choice of the first or perhaps the second 12 months, while Greek may start in the second or 3rd. At the end of the 3rd and sometimes fourth-year, a pupil should take one or both languages inside second 36 months (the 2nd stage), when the training in old languages is combined with training in ancient culture. The topic which they choose, although technically compulsory, is subtracted from their free-space necessity.
VWO-plus, also called atheneum-plus, VWO+ or lyceum, offers extra topics like viewpoint, additional foreign languages and programs to present students to scholarly study.